Forgot password?     Register!        
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Still locked out of YaBB Forum
Read 462 times

Offline Dandello
Mod Writer

Still locked out of YaBB Forum
05. Aug 2013 at 17:30

Even after (finally) hearing back from JonB I'll still locked out over there  Angry and people are actually starting to notice. Could someone please let the people over there know I'm out of commission there - I'm getting PM's from worried people and can't respond  Cry  .

If you have only one solution to a problem, you're not trying!

IP Logged   Firefox 22.0  Windows 7  

Offline Derek Barnstorm
Mod Writer, Mod Reviewer

Re: Still locked out of YaBB Forum
Reply #1 - 05. Aug 2013 at 18:03

No rest for the wicked Carsten.
Demo my Mods for YaBB 2.5

IP Logged   Safari 5.1.5  Mac OS X  

Offline Dandello
Mod Writer

Reply #2 - 05. Aug 2013 at 18:46

Thanks.  Smiley

Offline Bill Myers
YaBB Friend

Reply #3 - 05. Aug 2013 at 21:58

Dandello, you know very well that I went through the same thing, so I can empathize with you. Smiley

For those who may not have known, I'm giving another public thanks to Dandello for, as I understood it, contacting JonB on my behalf to unblock my home office IP address. Even though I kind of got used to it, it was a real pain to use a proxy server while my home office IP address was being blocked. Javascript issues got in the way of fully using my membership.

As I mentioned here in this post of YaBB's admin-abandoned forum, hopefully Corey will be made aware of the situation, and he'll take care of it by giving full admin access to another member in addition to JonB. My recommendation would be to give full admin access to Dandello and her team members who can be admin backups in the event that she needs them to help out. That would be the logical thing to do.

Hint: If only one admin is given full access to that forum, my recommendation for that admin is to have an additional admin account as a personal backup in case that 2nd account is ever needed. This can be very convenient, and it can also enable a faster fix if the main admin account becomes unstable for whatever reason.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! dansing.gif

Offline Dandello
Mod Writer

Reply #4 - 05. Aug 2013 at 22:30

My real problem with being locked out is it's a major pain in the behind to find another wifi hotspot where I live and log in from there. Starbuck's is clear across town and half the time their wifi is down. And my ISP, which usually changes my IP address about every two weeks for no apparent reason at all, hasn't done that in a couple months now.

Offline Bill Myers
YaBB Friend

Reply #5 - 05. Aug 2013 at 23:14

Particularly with your current circumstance, you can temporarily use a proxy server to access yabbforum.com and its forum. I'll send you the details in a PM here as soon as I post this. It won't be ideal, but at least you can use your membership there without too much of a hassle. I didn't really like it, but it worked for me.

Offline Dandello
Mod Writer

Reply #6 - 06. Aug 2013 at 04:59

And I was able to get in and check stuff and answer my PMs using a proxy. Smiley

IP Logged   Firefox 22.0  Windows XP  

Offline xnoddyx
YaBB Friend

Reply #7 - 07. Aug 2013 at 14:12

Quote - Dandello wrote on 05. Aug 2013 at 22:30
And my ISP, which usually changes my IP address about every two weeks for no apparent reason at all, hasn't done that in a couple months now.

you can try to reset your modem so that it will dump its config files so that it will dump its config files as most isp will issue a new ip on a modem reset i don't know if i am in a minority or not but I like having a fixed ip to me its just like a phone number come to think of it i think i have had my current ip for just over three years now Wink

oh-no_5_4_3_2_1_pop.gif
IP Logged   MSIE 10.0  Windows 7  

Offline Derek Barnstorm
Mod Writer, Mod Reviewer

Reply #8 - 07. Aug 2013 at 14:29

Quote - xnoddyx wrote on 07. Aug 2013 at 14:12
you can try to reset your modem so that it will dump its config files so that it will dump its config files as most isp will issue a new ip on a modem reset

That always does the trick for me.

Quote - xnoddyx wrote on 07. Aug 2013 at 14:12
i don't know if i am in a minority or not but I like having a fixed ip to me its just like a phone number come to think of it i think i have had my current ip for just over three years now

My IPs more dynamic than Bruce Forsyth, but there's not a lot that can be done other than change your ISP.

No rest for the wicked Carsten.
Demo my Mods for YaBB 2.5

IP Logged   Safari 5.1.5  Mac OS X  

Offline Dandello
Mod Writer

Reply #9 - 07. Aug 2013 at 17:13

I'm stuck with my ISP - it's the only one in my area offering FIOS. I figure that something in the next couple weeks the children in the tech section will blow up something they shouldn't have touched and everybody's IP will get reset. (These are the guys who last year forgot to tell their call center people they were reworking the DNS configuration software and blocked their users from half the US for 3 days. I'm just surprised they didn't blown anything up last month - maybe they were all on vacation.  Roll Eyes Which means there's still hope that they'll reassign all the IPs for all their customers just in time for all those kids going back to school to get really annoyed that their home servers can't be found - again.)

IP Logged   Firefox 23.0  Windows XP  

Offline Bill Myers
YaBB Friend

Reply #10 - 07. Aug 2013 at 17:44

I think I've had the same IP address for a long time. Resetting the modem we use in our home office has changed it. Not always. But sometimes.

Related to the subject of this topic, what's needed at yabbforum.com is the resetting of its admin. Wink

Overall, JonB was a relatively good admin when he was actually paying attention to the place, and he wasn't trying to operate it as if it was his own private forum. Even though he and I butted heads from time to time because I called him out on what I personally felt were some extraordinarily bad decisions on his part, he ended up reversing those bad decisions after that temporary period of ... I don't know what to call it. So in the end he more or less made corrections to right what I personally considered to be wrongs.

To change course when bad decisions are made is a mark of good leadership, and JobB had that important quality. Smiley

I haven't had a reply from the email I sent to Corey most recently about what's going on, but it's possible I sent my message to an inactive email address. I could call him at work, I suppose, but that's a pet peeve of mine that I'd rather not disturb. I'm fairly confident that Corey will come around at some point to perhaps address what's going on. But more importantly, I'm also fairly confident that he'll make some changes to get yabbforum.com back up to good speed again.

Perhaps getting ahead of things here, in truth yabbforum.com doesn't need to be around for YaBB to continue. After all, if it becomes necessary, the required copyright link to YaBB at the bottom of every forum that's downloaded for free can be changed to a link that actually matters (in new releases, which over time will naturally become standard).

Suggestion: If it's possible, I'd love to see YaBB's copyright link in new versions be linked to an address that is truly the mark of an open source project. In other words, that link would go to a page that automatically refreshes to YaBB's sensible, and true destination rather than to a forum that has been effectively abandoned.

On a note about that, maybe "A YaBB Allegiance" of some kind can be made as a public statement (posted online), and initially include the declarations/signatures of Carsten, Dandello, Derek Barnstorm, and xnoddyx. They could be the first group of a new YaBB leadership that could help standardize YaBB's open source project.

Whenever anyone drops away from that group, another YaBB supporter could add themselves to that list, and that list could include others as well. What would be the main purpose of that particular group? It would be to simply approve of, and support the established link that refreshes to YaBB's official online presence.

I'm just thinking aloud here to give ideas/suggestions to improve upon the stability of YaBB.

Note: If YaBB's copyright link, and associated links in the software's admin and help sections were already set up as refreshable links (auto-changed as needed), then the newest and most relevant link might be here in Carsten's forum, over in Dandello's forum, or wherever else it needed to be.

Even if or when Corey comes through for YaBB's community at large, I think my suggestion could be a sensible thing to do; or something similar.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Previous Topic - Breaking BadNext Topic - Expected standard of future YaBB  
Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.